Hello fellow Revolutionaries!
Here is an update from your Green Transition Committee covering everything that we’ve done for this year!
The Green Transition committee formed in December 2018, and we’ve had a sometimes crazy, sometimes frustrating but ultimately rewarding and active year!
Please join us – we welcome your ideas and passion for influencing environmental issues! Sign up for the Green Transition committee by emailing Green Transition committee chair Sid Pranke at [email protected]
In addition to keeping Our Revolution Minnesota members informed on important environmental issues that have been making front-page headlines all across the state, here’s a recap of some of our accomplishments during the past 10 months:
- Sent petition to MN Democratic National Committee members urging them to support a climate debate for the presidential campaign season – we had 143 signers we shared with MN DNC members before their national meeting held in mid-August in San Francisco. Though DNC members had a “floor fight” in San Francisco over adding a climate debate, the measure was defeated. That week Bernie released his $16.3 trillion Green New Deal plan, which experts have said is needed to do the best job in fighting the climate crisis we face.
- Green Transition committee member Brian Swancutt was chosen to attend leadership training for the international conference of Al Gores’ group, The Climate Reality Project (Aug. 2-4), and Brian also will be speaking on what Minnesota can do to fight the climate crisis at the Our Revolution Minnesota convention on Sept. 28.
- Facilitated Our Revolution MN adding its name as a signer with 25 other environmental and citizen groups asking attorney general’s office for action on Polymet/Glencore copper sulfide mining.
- A delegation of Our Revolution Minnesota met with Attorney General Keith Ellison and Solicitor General Liz Kramer asking them to do whatever their office had within its means to help revoke the Polymet permit for copper-sulfide; investigate new majority shareholder of Polymet, Glencore, which is a notoriously global bad actor; to enforce water quality standards in Minnesota; as well as actively lobby the Minnesota Legislature to include language in environmental bills that courts can enforce.
- Members of Our Revolution Minnesota participated in Water Action Day with dozens of environmental and citizen groups across the state.
- Passage of a St. Paul City Council resolution declaring Water Action Day in St. Paul (though because of outside pressure to the mayor’s office, the Council later removed text from the resolution denouncing Polymet/Glencore & Twin Metals copper sulfide mining, Line 3 pipeline)
- Became an official co-sponsor of Water Action Day at the state Capitol
- Created our committee tenets linked here
- Shared information with Our Revolution members about pressing concerns on proposed Line 3 oil pipeline, copper-sulfide mining by Boundary Waters, Lake Superior and surrounding watersheds and received pledges to contact elected officials